2009 Practice Exam Question #36

Discussion in 'Fixed Income (P1.T4 or P2.T5)' started by intuit2k2, Nov 16, 2010.

1. intuit2k2

intuit2k2 New Member

in 2009, Question 36

Your firm's finxed income portfolio has interest only CMOs, callable corporate bonds, inverse floaters, noncallable corporate bonds. Your boss wants to know which of the following securities can lose value as yields decline...

Answer c: IO strips and callable corporates

Don't understand why callable corporate will lose value. Yes, there's negative convexity on that end of the price/yield curve but the securies should never go down in value but is instead capped at call price. Is this a bad question?
  2. I think it's a bad question, see http://www.bionicturtle.com/wiki/FRM2009.E2.36/
    there is a long thread discussion somewhere in the forum that i can't seem to find, some debate but it didn't persuade me. I agree with you: negative convexity yes, but that does not imply negative duration. David
  3. intuit2k2

intuit2k2 New Member

Are GARP's practice exams essentially a collection of reject questions, or do some of these question pop up on the test?
  4. They do make errors, the further back you go, the greater the error rate. But, they've gotten better (e.g., we feed them all back) and, in truth, IMO, everybody makes some errors (I sure do), every book, every exam etc ... sometimes they just go unnoticed, whereas we air them out .... the worst error types from previous exams i think have been ironed out...David