2012 FRM Part I Books vs FRM Handbook (6th edition)

Discussion in 'About FRM' started by RiskNoob, May 27, 2012.

1. RiskNoob

RiskNoob Active Member

Hi David,

I plan to study FRM P1 by mostly using BT materials(study notes + tons of practice questions from BT). By briefly looking at the study notes, I feel that I still need selective topics in core readings for the supplementary contents. Don't get me wrong, the study notes' quality is great.

However, I think 'FRM Part 1 Books' is quite expensive ($250 + shipping $71.90 + custom & duty tax) so I am thinking about purchasing FRM handbook from amazon. Not only it is cheaper, but also it contains Part 2 topics as well.

I am wondering whether the Handbook (6th edition) is still a good alternative core reading compare to the FRM Part 1 Books.

RiskNoob
  2. RiskNoob

RiskNoob Active Member

On second thought, found out that this post is more suitable in 'About FRM'. I wonder If I could delete it/move to another section?
  3. Aleksander Hansen

Aleksander Hansen Well-Known Member

Studying for Part 1 I had:
    1. The GARP Core FRM readings;
    2. The Bionic Turtle Material
    3. The latest edition of the FRM Handbook

I used BT most; then supplemented with the GARP core readings where I felt further depth was necessary; I did not use the Handbook much at all, and the test bank is outdated - the practice exams are from 2008, 2009, 2010 so it's not terribly relevant anymore (besides there were some errors in there). Don't get me wrong, I think the handbook itself is good, however, it is just that, a handbook. Think of it as a good reference book, but don't mistake it for a self-sufficient text book. It will not give you enough depth nor bredth to serve as a replacement for the core readings, and David's notes has more of both IMO.

So, I recommend you get BT and GARP's FRM Core readings. If you can afford it I think the handbook can be great as a reference, but you will probably rely on it more, "here and there" as well as after the exam.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. RiskNoob

RiskNoob Active Member

Thanks (Susanne?) for re-arranging the post.

I see. By looking at the table of the contents of the handbook, I found out that topics seems to be simplified and does not closely follow AIM statements. So I just have ordered (a bit pricey) Core books from GARP. Thanks Aleksander for the feedback. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Suzanne Evans

Suzanne Evans Administrator

Hi RiskNoob,

I'm not sure if you have seen this FAQ, but I'd recommend you take a look as it might help with your decision: http://www.bionicturtle.com/faqs/category/frm-product#do-i-need-the-handbook-and-readings

Thanks,
    Suzanne
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RiskNoob

RiskNoob Active Member

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I looked at it too and the FAQ above and reminded me when I actually looked at the 'table of contents' in the handbook in the amazon - I found out that I need some raw materials than the handbook for my case. Both posts from the above helped me to decide.:)

Thanks,

RiskNoob
    • Like Like x 1