2014/2015 Curriculum Change Analysis

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Here is the analysis that we prepare every year to analyze the changes in the GARP curriculum from year to year. This analysis shows readings that have been removed, added and changed. Any readings in red have been removed in 2015, readings in blue are new to 2015 and readings in black are unchanged.

Attachments

• 2010 thru 2015 P1 AIM Comparison_v1.xlsx
    152.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 2010 thru 2015 P2 AIM Comparison_v1.xlsx
    197 KB · Views: 113
R

Rf67

Hi, great thanks!

Let me clarify something, only text in black should be studied for now until the study planner gets updated?

Thanks,

nsfy

Hi David,
I just have a quick question regarding the curriculum changes, has everything that has been removed been reflected in the online material? I'd like to know so I can start going through the content, but I don't want to cover anything that might be removed.
Thanks!
Nick

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Nicke (@nsfy ) No, not yet ... we will start the updating soon (we're working on it in the background of course). Although, to be honest, it reflects a partial untruth about the syllabus: the exam is generated top-down (i.e., they source questions from practitioners and check them against the syllabus, they don't actually start from the syllabus). In this way, it's not like added material is suddenly relevant and dropped material is suddenly irrelevant. There are so many concepts that transcend the particular strength and weakness of the current assigments; e.g., GARP often adds a reading for a single year, then drops it the following year, untested. Conversely, other topics remain (e.g., Bayes Theorem) even when the readings are dropped. I hope that is interesting. Thanks,

R

Rf67

Hi @Rf67

That is not our intention but it's not a bad plan, actually, given that the blue indicates new readings. Thanks!

Hi, forgive me but I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Surely only text in black should be studied as the readings in blue are not yet uploaded to the study planner?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@Rf67 Yes, that is true if you are only relying on BT, but many review the actual assigned readings first. For most of our existence, that was actually my recommendation (I viewed our notes as summary complements). Thanks,

SML

@Nichole, For some reason I am not able to open the links for the change analysis! Is there any alternative way to access it (Part-II)? as an email attachment?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @SML Those are links to shared dropbox and they should work ... however, I just attached the same Excel files to Nicole's original post. You definitely should be able to access them directly. Thanks!

Basti

Subscriber
Here is the analysis that we prepare every year to analyze the changes in the GARP curriculum from year to year. This analysis shows readings that have been removed, added and changed. Any readings in red have been removed in 2015, readings in blue are new to 2015 and readings in black are unchanged.

Hi Nicole,

If I understand well what is under column B (in the excel sheet) is what is in the 2013 Books. I looked at the the blue highlited text in the colum B and realised that it was already in the 2013 books does that mean that what is in Blue is not only new from 2015 but represent specifically what has appeared as new in 2013/2014&2015?

I am not interpreting the analysis correctly, could you bring some light to this confusion?
Thank you.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello,

Each year we use the same spreadsheet, and update it for the new year. Since it is 2015, you want to focus on the 2015 column to see which readings are new (in blue). The previous years are only for reference. Since we use the same spreadsheet every year, you will see readings in blue for each year because we don't go back and change the previous years in the spreadsheet. So just make sure to look at the 2015 column for the new (blue) and continued (black) readings and the readings that have been deleted for this year will show as red in the 2014 column.

Thanks,

Nicole

Hope this is for FRM exam 2015 , as this includes ERM chapter in foundation on risk management

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@Harishv07

Yes, this is for the 2014/2015 analysis. There is a column for 2015, which shows the readings for 2015. James Lam, Chapter 4 is the 2nd reading in the GARP curriculum for 2015 so it shows as a new reading for 2015.

Thanks,

Nicole

mshah6490

Subscriber
@Nicole

There was a reading "Hull, Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives Bionic Turtle FRM Study Notes Reading 28 -- R28.P2.T5.Hull_v3.pdf" but I don't see it now. Does this mean its not there in the curriculum for Part 2 ?

Thanks,
Mihir

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @mshah6490

Please always remember to follow the GARP curriculum that is posted on their site to confirm which readings and learning objectives are included in the 2015 curriculum. The Hull Reading that you are referring to is now reading 41 in the 2015 curriculum. GARP added Chapter 9 (which we have not prepared yet), Chapter 19 (Volatility Smiles) is now Chapter 20, and they moved Chapter 25 (Exotic Options) to Part 1. I can upload the partially completed reading that covers Volatility Smiles, as none of the learning objectives changed for that chapter, but Chapter 9 will not be included in the document that I upload until we have finished preparing it.

Thank you,

Nicole