What's new

2019/2020 Curriculum Change Analysis Spreadsheets

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @flyingpan Right, my honest opinion is that it is too much change. GARP does not (has never) adequately incorporated the impact on EPPs. You will notice I've already starting writing questions for the fresh material (https://www.bionicturtle.com/forum/forums/todays-daily-questions.53/ ), as usual. This is one of those years where the stress, to which you refer, will be noticeable on all EPPs. However, "do you think we would have enough time to prepare for the May exam?" is arguably a different question: all candidates play on the same level playing field. One major problem that I have with major change (like this year) is that GARP will not be able to comprehensively test the new material: it is much over-assigned relative to the number of questions, and for the new topic, there is no track record. So the new T8 is asking for a lot of detail candidates will not need; however, we have no idea which detail that is (!), forcing everybody to study everything. So, what I would say is that GARP puts all of us (candidates and EPPs) in this position. Personally, I think it is sub-optimal.

Another reality is that next year the syllabus will moderate/stabilize in comparison; actually, by definition, next year almost must moderate ("calm down") relative to this year's big changes (including source material in P1). Right??! To me, the implication of this reality is that next year's candidates will feel like they have more time (but, again, they also will be playing "on a level playing field" as the exam does grade on a curve). That's my opinion. As an EPP with an open/transparent forum, Nicole and I have years of experience dealing with the implied pressure :) We do the best we can. Thanks,

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Staff member
Subscriber
@Serdar7891 I realize you prefaced with "in several years," but I sure hope such a plan is not in the works: GARP should somewhat stabilize the first two parts before even thinking about a third part. I will personally be in disfavor of such a plan unless and until GARP brings more stability to the first two parts. Under their current rate of change, I don't see how the EPPs could keep up with a third part. FWIW.

I found it most perplexing that Liquidity risk has received such late recognition to be added or segregated as a separate section.A overview of the section underlines that some of the chapters were written,around 7-8 years ago.Delayed action on this,has deprived,thousands of passed candidates in some previous years from the most relevant and updated body of knowledge related to Risk Management.

Cyber risk,which is appearing as a CI reading in recent years or in some sub sections of certain chapters of main syllabus.May possibly get added as a chapter/set of chapters in the main syllabus in future.And it's extent of threat and pervasive nature could be such that it might as well evolve into a separate field of risk management studies.

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #26
I have schweser books of year 2019( part 1). I am planning to sit for November'2020. Should I buy books once again? If not, where can I get the newly added chapters now?

TIA.
Hello @Mohammad Abdul Awal

If you are looking for Kaplan Schweser materials, I would say the best place to get them would be their website. Since you are on the Bionic Turtle website, I also want to let you know that we carry all of the materials that you would need to study too. We are happy to help our competitor's customers, however, I feel better knowing that I made you aware of our study materials since you came to our website to post ;)