2020 Exam Update from GARP (updated on a regular basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
How irresponsible of them to cancel on the DAY OF THE EXAM! Isn't it 5AM in Malaysia right now? Less than two hours before (part 1) candidates are supposed to show up???

... i'm stunned, what sort of attitude toward customers (much less human beings) even makes this possible. Who would treat strangers this way, nevermind customers. They apparently announced this at about ~3:45 am loca timel. It's just so disappointing and disrespectful to the entire community of people who work to represent a standard and a value system :( :mad: Please tell me I'm missing something .... I must be missing something ...

... i'm stunned, what sort of attitude toward customers (much less human beings) even makes this possible. Who would treat strangers this way, nevermind customers. They apparently announced this at about ~3:45 am local time. It's just so disappointing and disrespectful to the entire community of people who work to represent a standard and a value system :( :mad: Please tell me I'm missing something .... I must be missing something ...

David, it is getting out of hand.

Campaigner

The exam in Lux happened.

I'd like to know if it is usual that the proctor tells me and others that they have "No seat for you" and delay the whole thing until they can work out how to handle it this "unexpected situation" ?

I got told this at 7am this morning (was the first or second one in the line) and registered right from the start. Horrible experience. Also, I was not able to listen to 50% of the instruction of the proctor (had especially to ask to repeat stuff) and my carbon sheet failed, becauses at the end he was looking it and "Uh, I don't know" and took it and walked away.

Additionally, why can anyone with a proper ID attend? We had one case..

conanthebarbarian

I report that Vienna exam went smoothly! I don't know how on earth GARP managed to pull it of during a full national lockdown with all day long curfew, but I'm happy it's finally over.
Hats off to the diligent local staff in Vienna who made sure everybody left with a good exam experience.

mattheweidinger

Anyone think it's an odd twist of fate that the November 2020 candidates in some jurisdictions got to write the exams before those originally scheduled for May 2020? :p

For example, May was postponed to October in Montreal, and then again to January, but November went ahead as planned from what I know.

evelyn.peng

Anyone think it's an odd twist of fate that the November 2020 candidates in some jurisdictions got to write the exams before those originally scheduled for May 2020? :p

For example, May was postponed to October in Montreal, and then again to January, but November went ahead as planned from what I know.
It would be useful to hear from those who wrote the Nov 21 exam in Montreal. What was the arrangement like?
I thought Montreal was under stricter restrictions. How did GARP managed to comply with those restrictions? Perhaps the same strategy can be applied for Toronto for January?

vinebills

It would be useful to hear from those who wrote the Nov 21 exam in Montreal. What was the arrangement like?
I thought Montreal was under stricter restrictions. How did GARP managed to comply with those restrictions? Perhaps the same strategy can be applied for Toronto for January?

Toronto has Oct and Nov folks taking the exam in Jan.........i would expect at least 400 to 500 folks ( maybe even more)..........I too am curious to see how they managed Montreal?

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Yes i would love to hear the details from the montreal candidates.
haha. I want to hear from montreal candidates too.
Very strange that no one is responding about the montreal exam!!!
@Sjegathe @qingqingzhou

There is feedback from different exam locations in the Exam Feedback threads. This thread is only for updates that GARP announces.

Part 1: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/november-2020-part-1-exam-feedback.23605/

Part 2: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/november-2020-part-2-exam-feedback.23606/

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
thanks Nicole = so in montreal it looks like they had 32 spots and 12 or 13 showed up. hmmm....
Hello @vinebills
I want to keep the actual exam discussion in the Exam Feedback threads, but it has been mentioned in those threads that people most likely deferred last minute, as GARP was answering emails and phone calls right up to the day before the exam. So, while some of those may have been no-shows, it is more likely that many of them deferred last minute.

vinebills

Hello @vinebills
I want to keep the actual exam discussion in the Exam Feedback threads, but it has been mentioned in those threads that people most likely deferred last minute, as GARP was answering emails and phone calls right up to the day before the exam. So, while some of those may have been no-shows, it is more likely that many of them deferred last minute.

Agree - moreover there could have been multiple locations which the candidate was not aware of.....it's pretty hard to know that.

vinebills

Looks Like May 2021 Part 1 no change in curriculum ( go to Garp > FRM > Study materials> 2021 study guide changes = Part 1 all 4 sections addition/deletion/update says "none". Part 2 i see some changes). That is good, if they need to push Jan exam to May the curriculum stays the same.

Eustice_Langham

Makes sense.....the last 12 months for a number of students has been challenging, to have made alterations may well have resulted in some students not bothering with the course.

stantonrussell

Looks Like May 2021 Part 1 no change in curriculum ( go to Garp > FRM > Study materials> 2021 study guide changes = Part 1 all 4 sections addition/deletion/update says "none". Part 2 i see some changes). That is good, if they need to push Jan exam to May the curriculum stays the same.
For Part 2 it looks like mostly chapter reference updates for Gregory and Bodie new editions, with 1 section (Counterparty Risk Mediation) dropped from Gregory and just a few LOs added/updated for Gregory. 3 LOs added for new reading Dimmock on fraud, and swapping of 7 Current Issues readings and associated LOs.

navneetc107

Guys just a query is there a chance they might shift the exams in India from January to May, because I have heard some rumours about this happening and also the Covid condition is pretty bad here.

Status
Not open for further replies.