After the FRM

shanlane

Hi Everyone,

Now that the FRM is over, I am looking for a new position. I live in New York City and am not begging anyone on here for a job, but rather asking if anyone has used any recruiters in the past or resume builders that have generated results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shannon

shanlane

Hi Hend,

I have looked up some positions on there, but am not really aware of what other services they offer. Are you familiar with the GARP career center at all? If so, what are your feelings about it? I will look around the site today to see if there is anything worth while.

Thanks for the advice!

Shannon

Hend Abuenein

I actually tried them, but the problem is that the jobs advertised there by recruiters/companies are not located in my region...that's why I didn't find them very useful. But you're looking in the states and I've seen many jobs on their site located there.

Also try eFinancialCareers.com, they send you a daily digest of openings in your area. Other recruitment sites do that as well, but if you're planning on subscribing to many, take my advice and make a separate email account for that.
Xing.com and LinkedIn.com could be useful too.

Good luck.

Aleksander Hansen

Get in touch with a respected recruitment/headhunter company and take some time to discuss what you are looking for, convey your skills and so forth and send them your resume and a 'cover' letter.

They will throw your cover letter and CV in the trash and completely re-write the information provided in a manner companies want to see it. They also have good relations with the Human Resources departments at most of the companies you would want to work for. They can get you resume read and elevated to higher priority/closer scrutiny.

..,this only works if you have the skills and education for them to risk their name by taking you on as a client.
You don't pay them anything - they get paid around 25% of your annual salary as a lump-sum if you are hired.
They basically weed out the resumes for the HR department so that they know they are looking at a serious candidate.

Aleksander Hansen

... I have done this 3 times, and 3 times I have been offered a position I accepted. It took about 2 weeks each time, from initial contact, to first interview. After 1 month I had a job. Note that I negotiate on salary until I get what I am asking, or I just walk. This will often leave companies on the fence for one to two weeks as they both get the approvals from the compensation department, and hope for you to get nervous and accept their lower offer.

shanlane

That is really helpful. Thank you. My problem is that I do not know what the respected headhunters are in New York and how many I need to contact. There are hundreds of them in the city so it is tough to tell which ones I should go through.

Are you in the tri-state are by any chance? If so, are there any that you could tell me to start off with?

Thanks,
Shannon

Aleksander Hansen

I don't live in the NY area, so unfortunately, I do not know of any one firm in particular.
You should be able to gather a fair amount of information by using Google and reading reviews.

The best results would come from doing some serious web-scraping/datamining with SAS's TextMiner. There are several universities that use SAS so that's a potential option. SAS's data miner itself runs at $100,000 and up so don't spend time on it unless you can get access somewhere - through a company or university.