What's new

Bionic Turtle enough for FRM Level-1?

Thread starter #1
Hi,
I have decent knowledge of financial products, as I work in Treasury Operations dept. Dont know much about VaR, Stress Testing and Hypothication. Quants, I have studied just basics in my university.

I dont have time to prepare from multiple FRM preparation providers and want to stick with one. Is Bionic Turtle enough? I have over 4 months till Nov-2019 exam. I dont intend to buy official GARP books. Will Kalpan Scheweser be better for me?

Also, Should I follow the study planner sequence (top to bottom) for each of the four topics? Searching online, I noticed that it is better to complete topic 2 (Quant) first, then topic 1 (Intro to Risk). Is that correct?

Will appreciate your response. Thank you.

snoekie1959

Subscriber
I have very similar question, albeit more granular. Taking into consideration the limited time resources (almost all of us work full time), if we have access to both BT notes and videos, is it safe to assume that what is covered in the notes is covered in the videos and visa versa? Secondly, should the order of learning be first notes and/or videos and then completing each readings BT questions?

Mkaim

Subscriber
Hi,
I have decent knowledge of financial products, as I work in Treasury Operations dept. Dont know much about VaR, Stress Testing and Hypothication. Quants, I have studied just basics in my university.

I dont have time to prepare from multiple FRM preparation providers and want to stick with one. Is Bionic Turtle enough? I have over 4 months till Nov-2019 exam. I dont intend to buy official GARP books. Will Kalpan Scheweser be better for me?

Also, Should I follow the study planner sequence (top to bottom) for each of the four topics? Searching online, I noticed that it is better to complete topic 2 (Quant) first, then topic 1 (Intro to Risk). Is that correct?

Will appreciate your response. Thank you.
May I ask whether you need to pass it this year? I would say give yourself 6 months at least because unlike the CFA level 2 and 3, this exam is offered twice a year. By delaying the exam for another 6 months you may end up increasing the odds of passing, this is assuming you remain disciplined for at least 6 months. I would say follow the study planner and do a lot of practice problems. If you get the time, try and understand the Excel files that David has created.

When I was studying, I actually read the GARP material. Rough estimates below.

1) Read the GARP material (didn't understand 50% of the material).
2) Read the notes (understood 75% of the material).
3) Watched the videos (understood 85% of the material).
4) Did a lot of practice problems and participated on the forums (understood most of the material).

As far as Kaplan is concerned, it's pretty much crap for the FRM. This forum helped me a lot!

Last edited:

ctrickle45

Subscriber
i'll let you know in 4 days - i only used BT and didn't bother with the books - they are useless imo and barely contain any practice questions

Detective

Subscriber
Yes, it’s enough.

I would still recommend source readings for any reading that does not have end of chapter questions. So essentially all of part 1 (Foundations in risk management) and few of other readings in part 2-4 (one that comes to mind is Country risk article). I didn’t buy GARP books and just found readings online.

4 months is more than enough, especially if comfortable with Quant, but you do need to be diligent and clock some decent hours some weekends.

Doing practice questions is key so I’d try to do some after each reading.

Ideally you would write your own notes for each learning objective, but that turned out to be not sustainable for me long-term (i.e. I got lazy).

Didn’t watch videos but I think videos make a lot more sense when you know the subject matter, so maybe you can do:

Skim Notes -> watch video -> read notes carefully -> do practice problems on that section

Rinse and repeat.