1. shanlane

shanlane Active Member

Hi David,

Now that FRM studying is done, I was considering doing the CIPM. I do not have the time (or the desire) to do CFA right now, but I heard that the amount of studying for the CIPM was relatively small compared to the FRM.

Is this a worthwhile designation or would my time be better spent doing something else?

Thanks!

Shannon

2. David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM David Harper CFA FRM (test) Staff Member

Hi Shannon,

I have to recuse myself from opining simply because I have almost no insight into the market value of a CIPM (e.g., http://www.bionicturtle.com/forum/threads/hug-a-benchmark.1606/#post-14498 ) ... the exam is smaller than CFA, to be sure, although quite technical in a few areas ... I enjoyed the reading list. But, unlike almost any of the other designations with which we affiliate (via our partners) and where I can perceive interest, I only hear silence w.r.t. CIPM. I've one inquiry in ~ 3 years. So, maybe it's an active niche somewhere, I just don't know that status, and I'm not seeing CFA Institute say much about the size of the membership on the CIPM side. I have a pretty narrow window generally, so it could be that we are simply unaware of the activity hub; have you noticed it in job descriptions, I would be curious if you have seen CIPM as preferred in many job descriptions? Sorry i can't be more help on this one :(