FRM 2008 Learning Outcome Statements

Hi David..

The new website is wonderful. Cross navigation is quite smooth and easy..david.. when is the LOS of GARP for 2008 likely to be published?
2. The core readings refer to a few chapters but relevant to the course from various text books. Buying all books will obviuosly be not at all eocnomical. GARP digital library provides a download at a price.Could you guide what is the way out. As a matter of fact in India not all books are available. Is all the download are worth buy or could we be selective? ( A tricky question.Is'nt it?) ( Also I am not trying to be pennywise and pund foolish)
3. The shockwave download is creating problems. Shockwave player installation has several constraints. Your 2007 dowbload format was fantastic. (Asking too much??)
4. Time table for the videos is eally good.
5. Practice questions may be posted in the premium segment.

Finally , David.. we all join you for a successful journey for a successful finish..

Regards
venkat

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi venkat,

Thanks for liking the site. I like it very much (credit goes to Lea Alcantara @ lealea.net), too!

1. GARP told me last week that LOS (which then have renamed again to AIMs, uggg, apparently b/c the CFA uses LOS so they don't want to use that) publish in May. To me, that implies around end of May. Then our study notes publish subsequent to that...

2. I agree, this is a pet peeve of mine; e.g., a single chapter can be assigned from a $150+ book! I think the best thing is to buy their course pack. Yes, some reading are more critical than others. I will publish a recommended "plan of attack" for study and i will try to highlight which readings absolutely must be secured versus others which are merely recommended.

3. It's not shockwave, it is flash (.swf = flash). We experimented with several format combinations for the download. This is the best/most versatile. The download contains a single .swf self-contained file. It can surely be loaded if the latest flash is installed (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/)

Note, if you have trouble directly, just unzip the download to a directly and open the .html browser page. That is a virtually guaranteed way to run the movie assuming you've installed flash

4. Great, thank you!

5. Yes, of course, more will as the year progresses...

Thanks - David

idalton

Director
This has to do with #2 within your reply. I have to admit that the way GARP does it is somewhat confusing. They put out their core readings, but not their learning outcomes. So how do I know what to focus on within the core readings I bought from their library? Also only a portion of the readings are available for purchase at this point, so for the people who want to get a heads start on the readings are impacted. I know within one of your video's you mention that you really need to understand the Quant section even though it's only 10% of the test because the models are used all throughout the rest of the test, but only one reading is available right now.

So what am I suppose to do until the learning outcomes come out / the other Quant readings are ready? I'd rather not wait until May.

Thanks
Ian

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Right, I couldn't agree more. They shared with me an early draft of the LOs (technically, AIMs) but there are several gaps and I can't share the document because it is, er, an early draft. (in the first movie you'll see i have inserted objectives, those are based on the draft). Regarding the early start, aside from viewing my tutorials!, possibilities include

* If you aren't price-sensitive, you could buy the econometrics text ($132) since eight chapters are assigned
* Better, just start with the market risk: the market risk section is the one section from last year (2007) that repeats almost in its entirety. The learning outcomes/AIMs for market risk should strongly resemble (i.e., mostly duplicate) the 2007 AIMS for this section (see below for exceptions)
* Just start reading as a "first pass" - IMO, some sections require two passes anyway (e.g., credit derivatives) so a general read cannot hurt

Regarding Market Risk:
Here are 2007 LOS (in EditGrid, so File > Export As > XLS opens to excel). Note two tabs for two sorts
http://www.editgrid.com/bt/frm2007/FRM2007_All_LearningOutcomes

Any MARKET RISK reading LO/AIMS has a *very* good chance of repeating with the following FOUR exceptions (dropped readings):
Linda Allen - Chapter 1
Linda Allen - Chapter 3
Tuckman - Chapter 21 (i.e., Tuckman 1-7, 9 repeat from last year; AIMs should correlate)
Saunders - Chapter 10 (i.e., Chapter 15 repeats)

Hope that helps...David

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Update (Thursday March 27th):

I just now received a new copy of the 2008 AIMs. This is ahead of schedule (GARP originally told me they would go out in May but apparently they've responded to concerns about a long delay between Study Guide & AIMs). This document does not say draft, so the AIMS could be available anytime at the GARP site (please check).

Thanks, David

David.. Now the cat is out of the bag.. If AIM you received is final, can you share it with us as a download? without prejudice to GARP?
Regards
venkat

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
venkat,

Yes, they said I have permission b/c the AIMs are ready at the GARP site. Please find attached. I will upload a copy to member page, of course.

David

David..
Please ignore my earlier message. Igot the download rioght now and am going through it and looking forward to your comments and guidance.

venkat