FRM Part 2 May 2012

LankyLint

So, how was it guys?

I found the paper to be unexpectedly easy. I mean, of course, there were a few tough ones here and there but 90% of the paper was pretty straightforward.

Hend Abuenein

It was easy, relatively speaking. I had to guess and infer about 10 out of 80. That's because I'm not very ready for the exam, not because they were difficult. Although I could say I had difficulty locating the right choice for one I was sure of.

One thing is for sure: either GARP changed their style, or this is how part II is different from part I.

There were no double negations, no twisted wording, straight forward requests. I finished 30 minutes before time!

If I pass, it would be because I understand the bigger picture of all the subjects. It would be a nice surprise though.

Good luck to all of you.

crablegs

Okay now.... you can't make me feel too confident... keep me on my toes, tell me it was brutal so then I am pleasantly surprised and not the other way around! ;)

Hend Abuenein

I actually had time to leave the room to drink and eat, twice, walk around to stretch my legs, once, answer questions comfortably, AND finish before the time limit, which is 5:30 PM.

:)

Where are you sitting, crablegs?

crablegs

Los Angeles.

I know I will be in a different boat because I do not feel as prepared for Part II than I was for Part I. I definitely do not feel I put the necessary amount of time (also give the shorter time period between getting results from P1 and then studying for P2....). So definitely not expecting to breeze through it like you did....

Hend Abuenein

Same here ...except that I started right after results, but had to depend on understanding rather than retaining.
Initial plan was to study for Nov, but then I thought I might as well sit in May, even if I fail.

Don't hurry through the questions, you'll have time enough for all of them. Quant : Qual no more than 1:7 .

crablegs

Cool, thx. Well, if I have some spare time, there is a good dinner not too far from the exam center. Might stop by to have a bite. They are also playing the avengers in the local theather, so probably will also sneak that in the meantime. And then only if I truly have some more spare time, then I might go home for a quick nap. Will just have to set the alarm clock to be back on time to turn my paper in.

crablegs

Thank you! I envy you guys being done with this.... I am in my office struggling to retain some concepts while there are constructions right next door driving me completely nuts....

LankyLint

I finished mine in like an hour and a half. Checked each answer like 3 times. I did change some answers when I suddenly remembered a point. Overall: very good :D

crablegs

Okay.... one last thing on my part.... if this is like the CFA, then it's on a curve anyway.... so too many candidates scoring well = pretty high passing threshold!!!!

LankyLint

I doubt that. I saw many who were just there to look at the scenery. They guy next to me was just looking at the ceiling the whole time!

crablegs

It's because he was a thelepatic genius. You did not see he was in fact mentally controlling his pencil to write a perfect score while day dreaming about the theory of black holes.

sl

Have to agree, for anyone who prepared well, this exam should have been a cakewalk. I personally, didn't see any 'alien' questions. Nevertheless, I still did screw
up a few Quant questions. Did anybody feel like for a couple of questions, the answers didn't match? One question was on default intensity and the other on TRS cashflow.