GARP Announcement - Transitioning to CBT in 2021

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Some of you may have received this email, but I wanted to share this information that GARP released today in case there are some who did not receive the email. GARP has officially announced that they will be transitioning to CBT in 2021, and exams will be administered over a range of dates instead of one in May and one in November. Here is their announcement:

"I’m reaching out to tell you about some important changes in the administration of GARP’s flagship Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exam for next year. To provide candidates with more options as they face the uncertainty of COVID-19, GARP is transitioning the FRM Exam to computer-based testing (CBT). Part I will move to CBT starting in May 2021, with Part II moving to CBT in December 2021.

With CBT, candidates will take their Exams at secure testing sites via computer instead of paper and pencil. This will allow GARP to offer more scheduling options for the FRM while upholding the professional certification’s quality and reputation. Please note: The breadth, structure, and length of the FRM Exam are not being changed.

In addition to the introduction of CBT, we will also add a July Part I Exam in 2021 and offer an expanded testing schedule. Exams will now be delivered over a range of dates, instead of on a specific date, to give candidates more choices. FRM Exam Part I dates in 2021 are May 8-21, July 10-23, and November 13-26. All Part I Exams will be administered via CBT. FRM Exam Part II dates are May 15 (paper and pencil) and December 4-10 (CBT). Registration for the 2021 FRM May and July Exams will begin on December 1, 2020.

To learn more about the FRM’s 2021 changes, you can click here.

Especially during these challenging times, the FRM Certification remains a second-to-none, career-enhancing offering in risk management. GARP hopes that these changes make the Exam more accommodating and convenient for professionals looking to transform their career in the new year."

dtammerz

Also I wonder how the additional ztable will be provided (physical paper or as a link to be referred to while taking the test).

Alberto

Hi @David Harper CFA FRM (or @Nicole Seaman, since are technical questions)
Do you have some information about the two previous questions?
Moreover, I would like to make an off-topic question that I don’t know where to ask:
On ‘introduction to derivatives’ you mention twice that you included example on the Focus Review (FR), but where can I find the FR? Sorry for the off-topic question.
thanks

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Moreover, I would like to make an off-topic question that I don’t know where to ask:
On ‘introduction to derivatives’ you mention twice that you included example on the Focus Review (FR), but where can I find the FR? Sorry for the off-topic question.
thanks
@Alberto Unfortunately, GARP has not provided us with any specific information about the CBT format of the exam. I just posted a new feedback thread this morning, as the Part 1 exams were over on the 21st. I'm hoping that some of the candidates who took the test can provide some helpful information.

Regarding the off-topic question, it would be best for you to post your question under the forum topic you are referring to (i.e. Financial Markets & Products). It is important to keep all questions in the correct section in order to keep the forum organized. Please also make sure to post specific information about the materials that you are referring to (where did David reference the FR? In the notes, PQ set, instructional video, in the forum, etc.).

dtammerz

thanks
I took the Part I CBT exam in May 2021 at a PSI Center. They provided me with 2 sheets of blank paper and a pencil. The two pieces of paper were enough.
On the right hand side of the screen, you will be able to see the list of questions where you can revisit them before submitting, as well as the ztable if you click on the link. I don't think I used it.

Hi @Nicole Seaman,
I have a question related to the computed-based model:

- I saw there are multiple days per part. It is going to be the same exam different dates o multiple exams?
- is there any guidance about the tool/software used or is it straightforward? I am nervious about the format change

Thanks!