GARP published the pass list for Part II may 2012

Discussion in 'About FRM' started by MariusE, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MariusE

MariusE New Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hend Abuenein

Hend Abuenein Active Member

Did any body else notice the numbers of people from the same Asian clans on pages 3 and 4? :)
    The Lis, Lus, Lius...etc

What's with that? :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hi Hend, I awarded you an star for uploading a picture, FWIW (enters into our weekly drawings).

I am struck also by the predominance and commonality of (eg) Xu, Zhu, Zhou, Zheng, Zhao ... my cultural awareness is lacking ... those are clans? anyone know if these striking patterns typical among an Asian population? Thanks,
  4. AlexB2011

AlexB2011 Member

Hi, David & Hend,
    I believe I read somewhere that in China there were only 100 (or so) families (clans) and therefore as many family names. But it could have been fiction.
    As for the topic: David, perhaps you know how many candidates sat for the L2 May 2012 exam? The number of passes is roughly 1,800, assuming form the published list.
    Alex
  5. AlexB2011

AlexB2011 Member

Ah, sure. Sorry for the stupid question. I guess 1 month vacation turned my brain into mush (or maybe it was the stress of the L2)
    All the best and thanks again for all the help & hard work
    Alex
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hend Abuenein

Hi David,
    I hope you've been doing well.

Thank you for the award. I've also heard of the predominance of a few clans in Asian societies, but didn't think it would be to the extent that a short random list of 1800 names from around the world would hold so many from a few of their dynasties.
  7. Hend Abuenein

Deleted post because I found what I was looking for.
  8. qin841121

qin841121 Member

Liu is the largest surname in China. Zhang, Chan are common too (zhang ziyi and jackie chan). Some surname are from a particular province, for example Lin and Wu are a popular surname in Fujian (a province in China). Because of low opportunity cost, some chinese work extremely hard. I heard of many high school in China where children wake up at 5.30am and study till midnight (a 15 min meal break).
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hend Abuenein

10. qin841121

qin841121 Member