IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ: Publishing Process for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
The 2018 FRM GARP curriculum has been released!

We have received questions about when the 2018 materials will be available. This year, GARP did not make many changes at all to the curriculum, so most of the materials that are currently published in the study planner will still be relevant for the 2018 exams.

We have already begun to update our materials to coincide with the 2018 curriculum. We will continue to add new and updated materials throughout the exam period. In 2017, we began to update our instructional videos, and we will be continuing to update our entire video library (including focus review videos) in 2018.

There are two ways for you to see when new materials are published:
  1. A "NEW" symbol will appear next to the new materials in the study planner. Please note that any time we change anything on the webpage it will add a NEW symbol, so always make sure to check the update links that are listed below in #2.
  2. We will keep a list of newly published materials in the forum with the updated/publish date for Part 1 and Part 2.
We ask all of our users to please refrain from asking when specific materials will be published, as each time we have to answer this status update question, it takes valuable time away from our preparation. We appreciate your patience during this very busy time. We want to make sure our subscribers have the most up-to-date, quality materials possible!

Curriculum Change Spreadsheet: For reference, here is our spreadsheet that shows the changes that were made to the curriculum in 2018: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/threads/2017-2018-curriculum-change-analysis-spreadsheet.13307/.

Please visit these links on our FAQ page to learn more about our publishing process, and why you may not see some materials published.
Thank you all for using Bionic Turtle, and we wish you luck in your studies!! :)

Last edited:

jamietay

Hi Nicole! The “New” symbol is indeed helpful but it would be nice to have a Date Last Updated. That would really help a lot.

It’s “New” today and it could still be “New” 2 days later” but actually nothing has changed within that 2 days.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole! The “New” symbol is indeed helpful but it would be nice to have a Date Last Updated. That would really help a lot.

It’s “New” today and it could still be “New” 2 days later” but actually nothing has changed within that 2 days.
Hello @jamietay

As noted above, there are forum threads listing the last date that materials were updated. As of right now, almost everything in the study planner is relevant to 2018, as GARP did not change many readings in the curriculum at all. Here are the forum threads that I will be updating so you can make sure you are studying from the most updated materials:
Thank you,

Nicole

jamietay

Are you able to at least indicate a date on the material because some of us may not go to forum threads? That would really help instead of having to scroll through the threads

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@jamietay Nicole will have her own view, but I don't want to add dates to the documents (PDF) themselves: on many occasions, we revise a small error or make a minor improvement and then upload the revision such that the majority of users don't need to be distracted by a super-minor update. Unless I am missing something, your two-day example above isn't a compelling issue (sorry) for the majority of users ...

@Nicole Seaman you know more than me about specific workflow implications, I defer to you, I just wanted to pipe in to say that personally I do not see the cost-benefit in explicitly time-stamping every document. Thanks!

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
@jamietay Nicole will have her own view, but I don't want to add dates to the documents (PDF) themselves: on many occasions, we revise a small error or make a minor improvement and then upload the revision such that the majority of users don't need to be distracted by a super-minor update. Unless I am missing something, your two-day example above isn't a compelling issue (sorry) for the majority of users ...

@Nicole Seaman you know more than me about specific workflow implications, I defer to you, I just wanted to pipe in to say that personally I do not see the cost-benefit in explicitly time-stamping every document. Thanks!
@jamietay

I agree with @David Harper CFA FRM. We have discussed this many times before with our members, and the decision was made that it is not necessary for us to go through every single document in the study planner to include a date. The forum update threads have proven to be very helpful to our members, and even if you do not use the forum on a regular basis, it is very easy to click on the link just to take a look at anything that has been updated recently.

One reason for creating the update threads was because any time there is ANY type of change made in the back end of the website, the "New" symbol shows up again. The update threads help our members to differentiate between an actual brand new document and a document that had a very minor change on one page. If there was only a minor change, I note that in the update threads, along with the date it was updated.

Thank you,

Nicole

Hey guys,

I am watching the Part I under topic Crouhy, The Essentials of Risk Management, Chapters 1, 2 & 4 and the instructional video but it only has 32 min of chapter 1, where can I find the 2 and 4, also study notes includes contents from 1,2,4 but inconsistent with video.

New to the forum, taking May 2018 Part.

Thanks in advance.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hey guys,

I am watching the Part I under topic Crouhy, The Essentials of Risk Management, Chapters 1, 2 & 4 and the instructional video but it only has 32 min of chapter 1, where can I find the 2 and 4, also study notes includes contents from 1,2,4 but inconsistent with video.

New to the forum, taking May 2018 Part.

Thanks in advance.
Hello @ziminli1228

Please note that I moved your question here to a thread that discusses our publishing process. As noted in this thread, we update the materials in the study planner throughout the exam period, so not everything is updated right now. We have Crouhy, Chapters 2 & 4 on our update list for videos. Thank you.

Nicole

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@ziminli1228 As Nicole wrote, we definitely have new Crouhy videos on our task list. Currently, we've been recording/publishing some of the other videos that really need updating. I appreciate that Crouhy is important to the introduction, so we do look forward to publishing some high-quality instruction on these readings soon. Thank you for your patience!

Hello @ziminli1228

Please note that I moved your question here to a thread that discusses our publishing process. As noted in this thread, we update the materials in the study planner throughout the exam period, so not everything is updated right now. We have Crouhy, Chapters 2 & 4 on our update list for videos. Thank you.

Nicole

Thanks @Nicole Seaman. One more question, how do I know if all materials under certain section have all been posted and there won't be any new publications. Sorry I am new to the Forum just don't want to miss anything and I am still getting used to the setup.

Thanks

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thanks @Nicole Seaman. One more question, how do I know if all materials under certain section have all been posted and there won't be any new publications. Sorry I am new to the Forum just don't want to miss anything and I am still getting used to the setup.

Thanks
@ziminli1228

If you look at my original post in this thread, there are Updated links where I post the last date that a specific piece of material was updated, along with the date. If we make any changes to a document in the Study Planner, it will show up with a "New" symbol, but I highly recommend following the Update links that I provided above.

Thank you,

Nicole

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
Am I right in thinking that the final portion of the PDF file names in red below change every time you download one of the documents without meaning that the content within has changed?

I downloaded the Jorion Chs 6 & 11 study notes 2 days in a row, and the last part in red differs:

Yesterday: R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_*******3979.pdf
Today: R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_*******c100c.pdf

I wanted to make sure that they don't mean there were some of the minor undocumented changes which are referred to here:
https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...updated-published-materials.13309/#post-57120

The original post in that thread doesn't show any changes this year to the Jorion Chs 6 & 11 study notes.

Thanks
Karim

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman @David Harper CFA FRM
Am I right in thinking that the final portion of the PDF file names in red below change every time you download one of the documents without meaning that the content within has changed?

I downloaded the Jorion Chs 6 & 11 study notes 2 days in a row, and the last part in red differs:

Yesterday: R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_*******3979.pdf
Today: R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_*******c100c.pdf

I wanted to make sure that they don't mean there were some of the minor undocumented changes which are referred to here:
https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...updated-published-materials.13309/#post-57120

The original post in that thread doesn't show any changes this year to the Jorion Chs 6 & 11 study notes.

Thanks
Karim
Hello @Karim_B

No we have not changed anything in the Jorion study notes. I actually do not usually work on the weekends, so there would definitely be no changes to any of the study materials between Friday evening and Monday morning. If there are ever any changes in the notes, they will be noted in the link that you listed above.

Thank you,

Nicole

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hello @Karim_B

No we have not changed anything in the Jorion study notes. I actually do not usually work on the weekends, so there would definitely be no changes to any of the study materials between Friday evening and Monday morning. If there are ever any changes in the notes, they will be noted in the link that you listed above.

Thank you,

Nicole
Thanks @Nicole Seaman
The other reason I was asking is that I'm running into excessively long file name errors on my side due to my verbose folder structure, so knowing that the final bit of gibberish in the file names doesn't reflect a change to the document's content will help since I'll just exclude it when saving the PDF.

Today I downloaded it again and it's called:
R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_**********7a9d.pdf

So I'm guessing you uploaded it as:
R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11.pdf

Is that right?

Thanks
Karim

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thanks @Nicole Seaman
The other reason I was asking is that I'm running into excessively long file name errors on my side due to my verbose folder structure, so knowing that the final bit of gibberish in the file names doesn't reflect a change to the document's content will help since I'll just exclude it when saving the PDF.

Today I downloaded it again and it's called:
R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11_**********7a9d.pdf

So I'm guessing you uploaded it as:
R36.P2.T5.Jorion_v11.pdf

Is that right?

Thanks
Karim
Hello @Karim_B,

Yes, you can save the PDF as any name that you like. When the document is updated, you will see the version number change when you download it. For example, right now v11 is published. The updated version will be published as v13.

Thank you,

Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.