iPod

Discussion in 'About FRM' started by mudge2008, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Hi David,
    It'd be great for some of us if not for All, if we can download videos as Mp3 or MPEG4. Especially for those of us who drive a lot and want to save some time listening to your wonderful course.
    I'd highly appreciate it if you can make them available.
    Thanks in advance
    Mudge
  2. Mudge,

Thank you sincerely for finding value in the videos. I will investigate these formats to see what is feasible. Of course, the screencasts can technically be published into either above format. However, this year I added two additional formats due to customer requests: the downloadable .exe and the alternative low bandwidth format. Each movie now is published to four formats, not including the PPT. The issue is, it is very time consuming to publish in multiple formats. Not to mention storage-intensive; some of the tutorials, in just a single format, require almost 60-80 MB! That's after I employ all the optimization i can muster, because i resist producing them to smaller screen, I worry that smaller than 800 x 600 will not be as helpful to viewers.

I definitely can/will do a ipod format for the master cram session (Nov 2, in parts), for you. Otherwise, I will look into this format going forward and I will update here later; e.g., perhaps i can replace the 'Alternative' download with an iPod format....

Thanks, David
  3. hi David,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I understand the difficulties and time pressure issues from all the candidates. However, is there any way to convert the exe files into a format (MP 4 of MPEG4) to be able to listen to them on my iPod?
    I appreciate it.
    Mudge
  4. Mudge,

Yes, I have not tested it yet, but the downloadable .exe tutorial is just a self-extracting file that contains the movie in a flash .FLV (not .SWF) file format. Apparently, there are several utilities that convert video formats such as .FLV to ipod (M4V). For example, Videora.

Let me know if you try it, i appreciate the iPod feedback. Obviously, i'd like to support it. I still plan to see what we can do in this regard before the exam...David
  5. Hi David,
    I tried Videora , but it did not work. I Think it's not easy.
    However, could you please give me the permission to try to break the flv file into a MPEG 4 file or a similar format which is playable on iPod. I am not so sure if I can do it, but I will try it and let you know how it works. I just want to be able to listen to the file on an iPod.

Thanks in advance.
    Octavian
  6. Octavian,

Of course you can have permission, sent via email...David
  7. Avishek

Avishek New Member

Hi Octavian

Did you succeed in the conversion? I copied the download.exe file to my O2 PDA but the file was not supported. I wonder why though as it has Windows Mobile 5.0 loaded in it. Any clue which format can be supported?

As you said, it would surely save quite a bit of our journey time.

Thanks, Avi
  8. Hi Avi,
    I tried , but haven't been successful. I am sure it can be done, but maybe i don't have the right software to easily convert the videos to an iPod format.
    We have to keep trying.

Best,
  9. Avishek

Avishek New Member

Thanks for your efforts!!

I think its too late now to even spend time on it... Still would be grand if David does something to convert it for iPOD or PDA readable format... we can use the time far more efficiently...

Good luck to you mate!

warm wishes, Avi