Is FRM worth after clearing CFA Level II?

Discussion in 'About FRM' started by shefali, Feb 15, 2008.

1. shefali

shefali New Member

Dear David,

I am a new member of www.bionicturtle.com. I have cleared 2 levels of CFA. I am not writing Level 3 in June 2008. Is it worth pursuing FRM if I am already pursuing CFA? If yes, I would need your guidance on FRM November 2008 exam.

Regards,
    Shefali
  2. Hi Shefali,

Thanks for joining, welcome! I recently wrote a 2-part post comparing CFA to FRM. I don't mean to punt, but a key reason I hesitate to offer a general response is that MOTIVATIONS for the pursuit of a certification vary. (Years ago, before I started bionicturtle, I enrolled in the FRM solely because I wanted formal exposure to risk. That's a minority motive, surely, compared to those who take these exams to advance/enhance their career). On the marketplace side of things, IMO, the certifications are associated with distinct but only slightly overlapping job categories. There are certainly CFAs who feel no marketplace benefit to obtaining an FRM. As a really average statement, I'd say FRMs have more general motive to pursue a CFA, than vice-versa (i.e., if you look at typical job listings, you often see CFA preferred/required, but you rarely see the same for FRM). Much of this is evolution: the FRM is more youthful it has several years of rapid growth to look forward to, the CFA is a globally penetrated, universally recognized gold standard.

Here are my posts, plus there may be some helpful comments:

CFA vs. FRM, part 1
    CFA vs. FRM, part 2