What's new

Exam Feedback May 2016 Part 2 Exam Feedback

For duration mapping and var, i chose that var would decrease due to higher rates since duration is lower if yields are higher. Therefore if duration is lower than var shld be lower too no?

For duration mapping and var, i chose that var would decrease due to higher rates since duration is lower if yields are higher. Therefore if duration is lower than var shld be lower too no?
I agree.

Also as spot price increases, delta of both call and put increase(less negative). I am pretty sure about the question.

Lastly I also got 8.8% for hurdle rate. Theres a formula which is weighted avg of rates between preferred and common eq

As spot price increases Call delta increases and Put delta decrease.

I have a book, "Options : Pricing, Greeks & Strategies: A GUIDE FOR OPTIONS BASICS "
The Book says that If spot price increases, Call delta increases and Put delta decrease.
Because Call premium increases and Put Premium decrease.

Options : Pricing, Greeks & Strategies: A GUIDE FOR OPTIONS BASICS

Put delta "-1" is better than "0"

As you see, put delta -0.71 .. - 0.61 .. -0.48

Put Option : If Spot price decrease, Option is exercised (In the money option)

Attachments

Last edited:
Bro, put delta decreases in magnitude but increases in real terms. I think author meant in magnitude. Imo GARP trying to trick us. I still think I am right lol but I may be wrong. Somebody can confirm

Mkaim

Subscriber
London whale - I chose ignored or increased risk limits
Cyber security - I guessed "identify" critic risks
Distance to Default - I also chose BBB-/BB.
Delta call Delta put - I chose delta for call increased, delta for put decreased
About exception problem ...2.33 critical value accept or reject? I chose fail to reject. I think I arrived at a stat if 2.22 or so.
For the option one, I chose both would increase. My crappy logic (potentially) was that as the call becomes more in the money the delta would increase (deep in the money calls have a delta of close to 1) and the delta for put would deviate away from -1 and towards 0 (as deep in the money puts have a delta of -1). Again, I could be overconfident with this one.

Mkaim

Subscriber
I also chose 8.8%. Why u guys are saying it shld be 12?. We were not suppose to include the cost of the preferred shares?
---
I also chose 8.8%, not sure if it is correct.
I searched online, and found that hurdle rate should be at leaset "cost of equity", should preferred stock be excluded??
IMO - Preferreds should be included as they are a form of equity - Schweser includes them I think. Picked 8.8

Mkaim

Subscriber
Chose 8.8% on the RAROC hurdle as well..crap..
The question on excess spread and overcollateralization..was that about the benefits of implementing a stepup margin?

The more i see the questions on this thread the more worried i am
Think i should avoid BT for the next month lol
I think I picked the step up margin as it forces the issuer to refinance - Form of credit enhancement. Don't remember the presented scenario but could be wrong.

Mkaim

Subscriber
There were roughly 5 people who didn't turn up in our room and 2 left very early - midway in exam. These people give me hope :p :p ....
On my end, there were about 6 to 7 empty seats with tests on the table ( no shows). IMO, I would rather have them take the test and help me out - pretty devious idea.

Mkaim

Subscriber
1. Does anyone remember Distance to Default problem?

S=20
X= 7+ 0.5x7 = 10.5
Volatility = 28%
R = 5%(???)
T = 1

So...DD = 2. 34

answer was " D. BB/ BBB- " (2.2 ~ 2.5)

right or wrong?

2. Does anyone remember Credit Var(number 2) problem?
I hated this question - it set me back 5 minutes.

GioKe

Subscriber
Difficult exam. Tricky. More quant than expected. Much more difficult than part 1 Nov 2015. It is up in the air for me. Short on time. Guessed a few. Got super turnt at the raptors game. (Game 3 yeeeee!) Going to bed. Mad hangover tm morning probably.

I found the paper difficult. More quantitative questions and most of them were lengthy. It occupied the entire 4 hours.

Additional questions I could recall -
Question on SMM and PSA pre payment for mortgage.
Preferred rate for derivatives.

I found the paper difficult. More quantitative questions and most of them were lengthy. It occupied the entire 4 hours.

Additional questions I could recall -
Question on SMM and PSA pre payment for mortgage.
Preferred rate for derivatives.

Totally forgot the prepayment thing so just pure guess, I chose D, 1.05 something...

There was a question with a graph where A had a higher slope and then declined while B had a lower Slope that stayed constant. And we were asked to choose the correct option: 1. Implied probability in second year for B is higher than A 2. Initial cost of CDS for A is higher than B. I chose #2. But 1 and 2 both seemed likely.

On the case study there was the NSFR and CoCo question. I chose CoCo.

Question on Expected Shortfall. Quite straightforward. Last question on Normality assumptions in Risk Management: 1. 97.5% Var is 95% 2. Unlike KMV merton relies on Cumulative probability. I chose #2.

There was a question on ho Lee drift model. And what drift would give a 0% interest in lowest node. Question on WCDR for Credit Risk. On Portfolio weight using TR and sd the answer was 6,400,000.