What's new

Exam Feedback May 2021 Part 1 Exam Feedback

bollengc

Subscriber
hi all,
I took FRM part 1 yesterday in the Netherlands. (not going to talk about content here and now, as exams are ongoing - feel free to remove anything you judge not appropriate here @Nicole Seaman or @David Harper CFA FRM )
Just to let you know that when you are done with your test, you get a summary screen with your name and so on.
on the top left side of the screen, it is written results. I pressed on the arrow on the left side of results, it gave me my score. (65% in my case)
Not sure this raw info is really relevant however.
I also had a colleague in the same room as me and when discussing after the exam, we noticed we had some questions in common and different questions as well.
From my side, I also felt I had several times really similar questions... :confused:
good luck to all of you taking July 2021!
thanks,
Camille

Meta

Subscriber
I did my exam on July 14th and got a score of 62/100. I am quite disappointed with the score, but kind of expected it with my performance during the exam, guessing for quite a few questions (that were odd and I felt like I had never seen the terminologies used?! - I hate GARP). I guess there is 50-50 chance of passing part I for myself.

I can't really remember most of the topics, but I agree with the bunch here that it was (quite) qualitative. Some of the calculations were tough though, I am decent with quant concepts so I know what is tough when I see it.

Good luck for those that are still taking it! If your exam venue allows you to start anytime, I recommend you start later than the others, because people that come in after you do discuss how to use the CBT machine (with the proctors) and their voices can get quite distracting - especially when you are nervous and settling down during the first 30 minutes.
Thank you for you feedback, i take the exam on July 23th.

Based on a reddit poll about FRM, it seems that people with score under 60 have passed the FRM Part 1. It is a bit annoying to have uncertainty about the form of the exam and be surprised after a such time consuming preparation. Based on people feedback in general, I understand that i have to be fully clear on the concept and pray when it is 50 / 50...

nc27

Subscriber
I did my exam on July 14th and got a score of 62/100. I am quite disappointed with the score, but kind of expected it with my performance during the exam, guessing for quite a few questions (that were odd and I felt like I had never seen the terminologies used?! - I hate GARP). I guess there is 50-50 chance of passing part I for myself.

I can't really remember most of the topics, but I agree with the bunch here that it was (quite) qualitative. Some of the calculations were tough though, I am decent with quant concepts so I know what is tough when I see it.

Good luck for those that are still taking it! If your exam venue allows you to start anytime, I recommend you start later than the others, because people that come in after you do discuss how to use the CBT machine (with the proctors) and their voices can get quite distracting - especially when you are nervous and settling down during the first 30 minutes.
You will be fine , no worry mate

rbaratyants

Subscriber
Did my exam on July 17th, got a score of 66%. Exam was pretty hard, I am quite surprised with my score, cause I thought it will be total disaster. Hope it will be enough to pass.

Most questions were qualitative. Some of the calculations at first look were tough, but then when you realize what they want to test, you will find a shortcut and can avoid hard calculations.

Thanks BT for additional source of material!

olivier.detraz

Subscriber
I took the exam this morning. It was nowhere near expected. Very few quantitative questions. Time was not really a problem.

I studied most BT materials and nothing from GARP's materials except some questions/answers that I read yesterday. I will go for BT for Part II but I will also read GARP's materials this time because I think it could have helped narrowing down the correct answers with a better confidence.

Meta

Subscriber
I have taken my exam this morning in Paris. I have felt that they were a little desorganized. Arriving in the testing center, they seem to struggle to register candidates. I have felt that they were quite unprepared, and the whole structure was low cost... I did not expect it from GARP, considering the fees paid.
For sure, it can't be compared to CFA for which the organization was quite military and very professionnal (impressive). I think GARP really has to work on the candidate experience.

For the exam itself. Even if I was quite informed, reading everything about the exam, I have also been very surprised! I am very grateful to Bionic Turtles for providing us with difficult questions, I would not have had a chance to pass without BT preparation. I though that BT exagerates the level of difficulty, in fact, it is not... :) So, thank you to the team, you are doing a great job in forcing us to understand the details of every concept!

I was also amazed that a very little subject could be asked twice in the exam whereas BSM ou put call parity were not even tested...
The first 20 questions, i was quite shocked by the obscure qualitative questions. Some questions were not understable... ( maybe because i am non native).
I think that garp has created a question bank, in which they randomly choose a set of questions. It would explain some imbalances, in the tested materials.

Time was not a constraint, I have finished 32 minutes earlier, which enables me to correct some mistakes. The CBT software is quite good. Strange thing is that i have never had to look at the z table...