What's new

New May 2020 Exam Date Released - COVID-19 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #21
Hello @shuffleshoe,

Since we JUST found out about this today, we have not had sufficient time to come up with the best course of action regarding subscriptions yet. Obviously this has a huge effect on us as a business also, as I'm sure everyone can understand. Your subscription doesn't expire until February 2021 so we don't really need to worry about the subscription expiration just yet in your case. Once we have created a plan for the best course of action, we will be sure to post it in the forum for our members.

Thank you,

Nicole
EXTENSIONS: For anyone asking about extensions on their BT subscriptions, this is the information that I posted yesterday.
 
#22
Thank you @Nicole Seaman for your prompt updates. I am also facing a similar predicament to the one above. Due to the COVID-19 situation, I am unsure whether I will be in Paris or Singapore in October as of yet (Originally I planned to take it in Paris in May). When will be the last day for changing exam centers? Also, my subscription expires this August 2020, and I understand the short turnaround time you have. Could you please let us know whenever possible whether it can be extended for some more time? Thank you!
Just wanted to update regarding the answer I got from GARP on my question.

1) What are the deadlines for changing the exam center? - April 15th (standard) for the October exam and upto October 15th for the November exam.

Keeping this in mind, I'll be changing my exam date to November so that I have more flexibility on choosing an exam center later if the need arises that I won't be in the same location come November.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
#23
Hi BT team,

Do keep us informed about the decision for subscription, bought the Profession FRM 2 on July 2019 with plans to take it on May 2020. A bit of roadbloack to my studying when the syllabus changed quite a bit. And then a bigger roadblock when the exam got deferred to Oct.
Crazy, how fast things change.

Nonetheless, BT has been great for my preparation and thanks to David and team for the quick turnover on the materials for the new syllabus.
 

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #24
Hi BT team,

Do keep us informed about the decision for subscription, bought the Profession FRM 2 on July 2019 with plans to take it on May 2020. A bit of roadbloack to my studying when the syllabus changed quite a bit. And then a bigger roadblock when the exam got deferred to Oct.
Crazy, how fast things change.

Nonetheless, BT has been great for my preparation and thanks to David and team for the quick turnover on the materials for the new syllabus.
Hello @SyroneDavid

I will send you an email regarding your subscription.

If anyone has questions regarding their subscription, please email me directly: support@bionicturtle.com

Thank you,

Nicole
 
#25
Hi @Nicole Seaman,

Since the exams are deferred to November 21, 2020 for India and October 24, 2020 for the rest of the world, could you please help to find out whether Indian candidates' results will be declared with May 2020 candidates or with November 2020 candidates. Also, when will GARP declare results for May 2020 which have been deferred now.

Thanks in advance.
 

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #26
Hi @Nicole Seaman,

Since the exams are deferred to November 21, 2020 for India and October 24, 2020 for the rest of the world, could you please help to find out whether Indian candidates' results will be declared with May 2020 candidates or with November 2020 candidates. Also, when will GARP declare results for May 2020 which have been deferred now.

Thanks in advance.
Hello @amaheshwari15

Generally, all results are released around 6 weeks after the exam date, but I will try to confirm if the same process is being followed. We always encourage our members to reach out to GARP first also, as we cannot always contact them for every request that is made. There are just too many questions and not enough time, especially with the postponement of the exam. You can contact them at memberservices@garp.com. I will send them an email this morning to see if I can find out this information for you.

Update from GARP: Since candidates in India are taking the November exam, they will receive their results with the November candidates around January 4th. The candidates who are taking the exam in October should have their results around the 6-week date (Dec 5th), however, GARP has stated that they will let us know for sure when they have a confirmed date for the October exam results.
 
Last edited:

sangsukim

New Member
Subscriber
#27
Dear all,

I am a FRM candidate from South Korea and I am gravely worried about the current Covid-19 circumstance.

My concern is not the further delay of the Oct 2020 FRM exam but a further exacerbation of the Covid-19 situation.

Still, there are exponentially increasing number of the Covid-19 patients around the globe and my personal opinion is that GARP should step up and further delay the upcoming exam once more until the numbers really diminish. The next date may be held early 2021 and so.

What is most important is a candidate and his/her family's health. I already sent memberservices@garp.com an email.

I hope you join this movement. Stay positive and I hope all of you stay safe from the virus :)
 
#28
Dear all,

I am a FRM candidate from South Korea and I am gravely worried about the current Covid-19 circumstance.

My concern is not the further delay of the Oct 2020 FRM exam but a further exacerbation of the Covid-19 situation.

Still, there are exponentially increasing number of the Covid-19 patients around the globe and my personal opinion is that GARP should step up and further delay the upcoming exam once more until the numbers really diminish. The next date may be held early 2021 and so.

What is most important is a candidate and his/her family's health. I already sent memberservices@garp.com an email.

I hope you join this movement. Stay positive and I hope all of you stay safe from the virus :)
Hello,

COVID-19 is a serious matter - many people have died from it, including a family member of mine.

However, I would encourage GARP to NOT postpone or cancel the FRM exams globally in any jurisdiction other than your own, if I were you. Tens of thousands of people across the world studied for months before and during this pandemic to earn the right to be FRM certified. If you - or anyone else - do not feel comfortable enough or safe enough to sit in a room of exam takers, you can opt out. But, do not pretend to speak for people in other cities or countries when you ask for the exam to be cancelled on a global basis.

respectfully,
 
Last edited:

mbbx5va2

Member
Subscriber
#29
I agree. I hope the exam takes place end of this year. A lot of time and effort has gone in preparing for the exam and so it would be terribly unfair to defer again. It is only a 4 hour exam and people can socially distance and wear masks. There's a subscription extension issue if it is deferred to 2021.
Hope they tell us early if they defer. E.g in september for nov exam.
 
#31
The actual number of COVID19 cases will not be a factor. I reckon GARP's decision will hinge greatly on govt measures; the problem this time, is that different jurisdictions have different rules, and such rules can change in a minute's notice as the situation is still very fluid. This is a tough balancing act between customer and regulator where reputation is at stake. GARP and CFA must be watching each other's move closely.
 
#32
The situation is also rather unfortunate for those sitting for level 2, as the max residency rule of 4 years after taking level 1 is still diminished notwithstanding force majeure i.e. if COVID persists for another 3 years, all exams postponed, then level 2 takers are all back to level 1.
 
#33
I think jurisdictions such as China, Europe, Canada for instance - places that have “flattened the curve” and/or adapted to the virus will be more likely to hold the exams. It could be done on a region by region basis as well.

I believe that CFAI cancelled only certain testing centers in China during the 2003 SARS outbreak, but left every other jurisdiction unchanged. I think something similar is likely for GARP later this year. Protests in Hong Kong caused the November 2019 exams to be cancelled there as well. CFAI and GARP cancelled May & June 2020, since there was too much uncertainty about what the situation would look like and how to adapt hundreds of testing centers to unique physical distancing guidelines around the world in a timely manner.

I agree that CFAI and GARP are closely monitoring each other though...
 

ktrathen

Member
Subscriber
#34
Hi all,

Having so far invested approximately 100 hours preparing for the November 21 FRM level 1, I'm getting nervous given right now in Melbourne, we still cannot leave our homes for most reasons, and are restricted to a 5 km radius. It seems highly likely to me that the some form of restrictions will still exist in November. The question is, how restrictive will it be, and will this kind of exam be able to take place (or will GARP have enough confidence to book the venue etc)?

Does anyone have any information about GARP's policy with this? CFA have offered refunds or deferrals I believe.

Many thanks.
 

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #35
Hi all,

Having so far invested approximately 100 hours preparing for the November 21 FRM level 1, I'm getting nervous given right now in Melbourne, we still cannot leave our homes for most reasons, and are restricted to a 5 km radius. It seems highly likely to me that the some form of restrictions will still exist in November. The question is, how restrictive will it be, and will this kind of exam be able to take place (or will GARP have enough confidence to book the venue etc)?

Does anyone have any information about GARP's policy with this? CFA have offered refunds or deferrals I believe.

Many thanks.
Hello @ktrathen

GARP has not announced any decisions regarding the November exam. There are many places in the world that are no longer completely locked down so if they do need to defer the November exam, I would imagine that it would need to be on a country-by-country basis according to their situation as the exam date gets closer. It would be best for you to contact GARP directly with your concerns, as they are the only ones that can provide you with accurate information regarding this.

Thank you,

Nicole
 
#37
Hi all,
I am writing from Australia, my exam is scheduled for October 24th in melbourne & I love in brisbane, currently due to covid situation people from Brisbane cannot travel to hotspot which includes Sydney & Melbourne,
Even if I travel , I need to do hotel quarantine at personal expense of around Usd 2000, I have written to garp to postpone exam to November but they are asking for 150 usd more for that, I don’t think it’s fair since I am not sure what situation we will have in November.
Forum people thoughts would be welcome.
 

ktrathen

Member
Subscriber
#38
I just heard that GARP is using remote proctoring for the SCR certificate too. Perhaps they will do something similar for FRM.

Anyway, Melbourne's daily case numbers are rapidly declining, so we might just get a long enough reprieve from COVID in November for the exam to take place as planned. I will keep studying on that assumption! Thanks for your on going hard work and support.
 

ktrathen

Member
Subscriber
#39
Hi all,
I am writing from Australia, my exam is scheduled for October 24th in melbourne & I love in brisbane, currently due to covid situation people from Brisbane cannot travel to hotspot which includes Sydney & Melbourne,
Even if I travel , I need to do hotel quarantine at personal expense of around Usd 2000, I have written to garp to postpone exam to November but they are asking for 150 usd more for that, I don’t think it’s fair since I am not sure what situation we will have in November.
Forum people thoughts would be welcome.
I think you should write to GARP and explain your situation. I'd be very surprised if they didn't waive the fee for deferring the exam.

I live in Melbourne and am registered for the 21st November exam here. There's a decent chance I think the exam can go ahead in November (not sure about October). But I think interstate travel will basically be impossible before Christmas at the earliest. As you say, it is also likely to cost you considerably more to get down here (plus hotel quarantine at each end at your own expense) than the cost of deferring the exam, even if you do have to pay $150 USD (which I doubt you will).

Is there no option to take the exam in Brisbane? Sydney might be another option too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
#40
I think you should write to GARP and explain your situation. I'd be very surprised if they didn't waive the fee for deferring the exam.

I live in Melbourne and am registered for the 21st November exam here. There's a decent chance I think the exam can go ahead in November (not sure about October). But I think interstate travel will basically be impossible before Christmas at the earliest. As you say, it is also likely to cost you considerably more to get down here (plus hotel quarantine at each end at your own expense) than the cost of deferring the exam, even if you do have to pay $150 USD (which I doubt you will).

Is there no option to take the exam in Brisbane? Sydney might be another option too.
I have written them the same, awaiting response , I have given them government website announcements as pdf & further explained my situation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top