operational risk management certificates

hellohi

dear guys,

I am working in operational risk management and business continuity management, do you know what certificates I have to have to enhance my chances to get a good job?

best regards,
Nabil

hellohi

I am studying now for FRM but what else? the operational risk management overlaping with audit....

Hesham_87

@hellohi There is an operational risk manager certificate, which is offered by PRMIA. it focuses on operational risk field intensively. highly recommended. Thankfully, i earned this certificate in September 2016. if u r going to plan to earn it, please do not hesitate to contact me.

hellohi

@hellohi There is an operational risk manager certificate, which is offered by PRMIA. it focuses on operational risk field intensively. highly recommended. Thankfully, i earned this certificate in September 2016. if u r going to plan to earn it, please do not hesitate to contact me.
thanks a lot
dear as I knew...it is not a professional certification, the website of PRMIA says this?

they say "This is not a professional designation and cannot be added to candidate’s business cards".

thanks again
Nabil

Hesham_87

well it is NOT as same as CFA or FRM, it is not a designation, yet it is a professional certificate that you may add in yr CV.

Last edited:

TK

thanks a lot
dear as I knew...it is not a professional certification, the website of PRMIA says this?

they say "This is not a professional designation and cannot be added to candidate’s business cards".

thanks again
Nabil
New
Hi, I need some inputs and guidance on the ORM certification, can you assist

Regards,
TK

TK

Hi,

Thanks you so much for the support.. I am currently taking up ORM role and wanted to take up the certification... I wanted some guidance on the below points Would 3-4 months study time would be sufficient with allocating around 8-10hrs of time per week
Do we need of ching or can manage o n our own
Can we get the course material from the free ware by chance

Regards,
TK

Hesham_87

for first question, i do believe studying 1.5 to 2 hours / day is sufficient. the point u should take into consideration ORM certificate has neither exam provider nor exercises/practical questions in order to be familiar with the exam. so understanding concepts of ORM material is essential and very important.

i am sorry but what do u mean by ching? if u mean u need a training center or sth like that, no u may manage on your own if u work in operational risk field. if u dont work in operational risk field, i think u may face some difficulties to understand the concepts.

i dont think ORM material is available through free ware. u may purchase the book from PRMIA.

i hope it is clear... and please dont hesitate to ask questions

TK

Hesham,

Thank you so much for valuable inputs.. I will start preparing for it

Regards
TK

mg30

Hi, is this certification valued in the market if I want to make a career in operational Risk. Also advice what % of mathematical / statistical knowledge is required for clearing this exam. I do not have any mathematical background and was worried if I can clear the exam on my own.

Hesham_87

in my country - Egypt - it was ok. earning a certificate in such new field is always appreciated. Moreover, i took ORM exam to enhance my knowledge in operational risk field regardless market appreciation.

regarding calculation, one of topics in ORM exam is risk modeling. when i took the exam, there were no calculations. all u need to do is understand the concepts in this topic. for example a question in the exam would be (for example) what are techniques which are used to estimated the frequency of op. risk events? (passion is one of them). however the calculations of passion is not need and u will not have numerical questions in this regard. please check the guide book below.

https://prmia.org/Public/Certificate/ORM_Certificate/Attaining_the_ORM_Certificate.aspx

mg30

Thanks a lot for your input. I hope studying the handbook thoroughly will be sufficient to clear the exam ?

Amit Sarathy

I am planning to enroll for the ORM exams. I am currently on a career break having experience of 13yrs in functions like Product Control (i.e. Trader PnL and substantiation) and Valuations of securities. Wanted to get into Ops risk leveraging on my experience and having seen and resolved few Ops risk events myself. Will this course at least give me a chance to get a foot in the field of Ops Risk. Your inputs will be highly appreciated.