Passed part 1 and part 2 but not yet certified FRM

shanlane

Really? September? I was hoping a month would suffice for them to get through everything. I guess I was overly optimistic.

Krisztina

I don't know if this piece of information helps ease the pain of waiting, but I share it here anyway. I uploaded my CV on the 6th of July, got certified on the 17th of August.

shanlane

I waited until the middle of July to send in all of my stuff, so maybe I will have to wait a bit.

May I ask how you were notified? I assume it was an email.

shanlane

I am sorry to hear that. I am a little worried myself. I have trading experience from 1999-2005, but then followed another career path for a while and have been a risk manager for a little less than a year.

Would not surprise me either way, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be upset if my application gets rejected.

Hend Abuenein

Well, I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the reason I was rejected is that my relevant experience is more than 5 years old (1990s), except a more recent 1 year of university teaching (2009).

I hope it's different for you.

Jas

My observation in this case has been that, generally, the early birds and the late birds get the worm faster.
For example, I got the reply within 3 days of my CV submission (I had submitted in the last week of the deadline period).

shanlane

This may be getting a little technical, but I do not see anything about experience being too old to qualify under the requirements section on the GARP website.

Not sure if its worth your while mentioning that to them, but if they reject me for that reason I will certainly make them aware of it.

Call me a pain in the @$$, but thats how I see it.

Suzanne Evans

Hend Abuenein,

Did GARP show you and/or state where it says that your experience has to have been within the last 5 years?

Looking at their site, I can't find anywhere where it says that you must have completed that experience within the last 5 years. See here: http://www.garp.org/frm/exam-overview/certification-requirements.aspx

How I read it is:
  • You must have a minimum of two years professional full-time work experience in the area of financial risk management or another related field including, but not limited to: trading, portfolio management, faculty academic, industry research, economics, auditing, risk consulting, and/or risk technology. (This doesn't state how far long ago.)
  • You must have a passing score on both Part I and Part II of the FRM Exam (Which you have.)
  • Important: Important: You have 5 years from the date you passed the FRM Exam to have your work experience verified, which you can do by completing the online form verifying your professional experience. If you fail to provide this information within the 5 year time frame, then you will be required to retake the FRM Exam in order to become a Certified FRM. (I read this as if you do not have two years professional work experience, then you still have 5 years to fulfill those two years experience requirement.)
I'd love to hear more on this.

Thanks,
Suzanne

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Suzanne, wow, great work!

Your interpretation looks very logical to me: I do not see where GARP is requiring that, upon passing the FRM, the prior work experience must have been achieved within the prior five years.

It is different criteria to require, upon passing, verification within five years.

Can anyone cite where GARP requires that qualifying work experience to be no older than five years, upon passing the exam? I too do not see it...

(also, this business about an "FRM holder" is, um, strange.
I'm not aware of any other designation that parses the certification confusingly into two semantics. Maybe I'm not aware.
The outside world cannot be expected to parse "FRM holder" versus "Certified FRM", imo ... should just be able to say "passed both FRM exams but FRM Certification pending work experience" along the line of CFA)

Jas

I agree and have pointed out that nowhere on their website has GARP mentioned anything about the experience being recent or old experience being rejected.
I find it highly irregular.

As discussed with you earlier Hend Abuenein, if your earlier experience fits the bill, I would suggest you to follow it up with GARP and not leave it off like that.

Hend Abuenein

Thank you Suzanne Evans and David Harper, CFA, FRM, CIPM for your interpretations, got me doubting everything I went through now.

This is what happened: when trying to fill the form verifying your professional experience I had difficulty placing my relevant experience, since it said in the form : your last employment (or so) and it wasn't my recent employment I wanted to place. So I wrote to GARP asking how to go about it, I got a reply from a Lucy Ruiz saying:
"The work experience can not be more then 5 years old from the time you pass both parts, if you have the 2 year work experience you will need to fill your resume online for review and you can stated as of now you are an "FRM Holder" passed part I and II "

I didn't go any farther with that, trusting they know what they have.

After this thread, I will write back to them and keep you all informed.

Thanks again

Jas

(also, this business about an "FRM holder" is, um, strange.
I'm not aware of any other designation that parses the certification confusingly into two semantics. Maybe I'm not aware.
The outside world cannot be expected to parse "FRM holder" versus "Certified FRM", imo ... should just be able to say "passed both FRM exams but FRM Certification pending work experience" along the line of CFA)

This concept of "FRM Holder" is new - it was not existing early this year while I was waiting to upload my CV. Maybe they started it post the May 2012 exam.

Also this conflicts with the FAQ where they show a diff way of representation

Jas

Hend Abuenein
So you have not uploaded your CV?
If not - maybe you can consider going ahead and uploading the CV with the relevant experience - leaving out the non-relevant portion.

To be frank, I read the sentence from GARP (that you posted) differently. It seems more of a general statement than a rejection of workex.

Jas

This concept of "FRM Holder" is new - it was not existing early this year while I was waiting to upload my CV. Maybe they started it post the May 2012 exam.

Also this conflicts with the FAQ where they show a diff way of representation

This is from the GARP FAQ

If I have passed the FRM Exam Part I and Part II, but have not yet met the work experience requirement or been notified by GARP that my work experience meets the requirements for certification, what can I state on my CV/résumé? You can include the following statement on your CV/résumé once you have passed the FRM Exam Part I and Part II: "FRM Program - Passed FRM Exam Part I & Part II"

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
FeRMioN

Thanks, good to know. I wasn't aware of "FRM Holder" but, my issue is, regardless of the timing and/or inconsistency, it is an (unprecedented?) confusing approach from an EXTERNAL (marketplace) viewpoint: people do understand what "I passed the exam but haven't earned the charter" means, but I don't think people can be expected to differentiate between "FRM holder" versus "Certified FRM." All of the certs/designations i know are, well, Bernoullis: until you got it, you ain't got it. I don't see the thinking on introducing the "holder" terminology... thanks,