What's new

FAQ Before Exam Study Plan Guide

So a lot of prep providers are mentioning on Youtube that studying from the GARP's material is too lengthy and not exactly aligned with the learning outcomes (e.g. explaining something that is not required to know). Common remark across providers is also that it's best to not change studying material during preparation process and just to stick to one. So if I got it right, best approach is to study BT's notes in detail and to consolidate GARP's books just for some additional reference if needed. Can someone confirm this? Thank you!

1) I'm a bit worried that 73% of students are passing because they come here just for questions while having Schweser's notes. Just want to be confident in the strategy from the beginning so that I can start executing it.

2) Don't know to what extent BT alignes with the yearly updated learning outcomes and what the gaps are.

Last edited:

Harshit Chawla

Subscriber
Hi
I'm new here, an frankly, a little overwhelmed by the amount of resources that are available here on BT. I'm planning to sit for Part 1 in November.
Does BT provide a recommended order in which we should study/ go through the material? I read somewhere that the curriculum is not very well structured and I need to go through some topics in other subjects before I can study some in other parts of the curriculum.

Does this look like a fine plan to follow? :
1. Quantitative analysis
2. FMP
3. Valuation and risk models
4. Foundations of Risk Management

Also, I have never used a prep provider that provides so many additional resources to use (excel sheets, study planner, etc.), so is there any introductory video for BT which I can watch to really get a hold of the BT way of prep?

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #143
Hi
I'm new here, an frankly, a little overwhelmed by the amount of resources that are available here on BT. I'm planning to sit for Part 1 in November.
Does BT provide a recommended order in which we should study/ go through the material? I read somewhere that the curriculum is not very well structured and I need to go through some topics in other subjects before I can study some in other parts of the curriculum.

Does this look like a fine plan to follow? :
1. Quantitative analysis
2. FMP
3. Valuation and risk models
4. Foundations of Risk Management

Also, I have never used a prep provider that provides so many additional resources to use (excel sheets, study planner, etc.), so is there any introductory video for BT which I can watch to really get a hold of the BT way of prep?
Hello @Harshit Chawla

I moved your post to this thread, which has a great deal of information from other members who have shared their study plans. We do not have an introductory video on how to use our materials because we are a self-study program, which means that everyone uses our materials differently. If you read through the posts in this thread, it should help you to come up with a study plan that fits your needs.

hnoorshn

Subscriber
Hello,

Can someone recommend two or three books that cover most of the Quant stuff that is tested in FRM L1. I have started reading
Calculus: A Complete Introduction by Hugh Neill, but I don't think one book can cover everything.

Thank You.

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #145

Detective

Subscriber
You don’t need to use any calculus on this exam. Your time is better invested going over the quant book GARP assigns (e.g. Miller). Focus on probability concepts and calculations (e.g. Bayes’ Rule).

hnoorshn

Subscriber
You don’t need to use any calculus on this exam. Your time is better invested going over the quant book GARP assigns (e.g. Miller). Focus on probability concepts and calculations (e.g. Bayes’ Rule).
I have mentioned this before that i barely have any math knowledge. From what i have read I assume I will need to know basic differentiation and Integration. That is why I bought a book on Calculus.

Detective

Subscriber
I have mentioned this before that i barely have any math knowledge. From what i have read I assume I will need to know basic differentiation and Integration. That is why I bought a book on Calculus.
I took L1 this May and there was not a single problem I could recall that required the need to take a derivative or integral (assuming you had a working calculator). Is basic knowledge of calculus helpful in general and does it provide a deeper understanding of some of the concepts? It sure does, but if I were in your shoes, ~4 months to the exam with limited math knowledge, I would not spend my time trying to learn calculus and instead focus on the math that will be tested on the exam. Maybe others can chime in on their own experience.

hnoorshn

Subscriber
I took L1 this May and there was not a single problem I could recall that required the need to take a derivative or integral (assuming you had a working calculator). Is basic knowledge of calculus helpful in general and does it provide a deeper understanding of some of the concepts? It sure does, but if I were in your shoes, ~4 months to the exam with limited math knowledge, I would not spend my time trying to learn calculus and instead focus on the math that will be tested on the exam. Maybe others can chime in on their own experience.
4 Months ? I am not appearing this cycle. So I have time and time is the only thing that is on my side.

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #152
I was actually redirected from that thread to this thread.
Hello @hnoorshn

I see now that back in October I suggested that this thread may be helpful by reading through the comments from other members to see the study plans that they have created. The math skills thread is still a great resource if you are looking for specific books or courses that can help you to learn or refresh your math skills.

Thank you,

Nicole

Smerchant

Subscriber
I am also studying right now for the November Exam and having trouble grasping some of the equations. At this point I am going to keep pushing through the concepts but I do find myself looking at plug and chug questions for a good amount of time before moving on.

Smerchant

Subscriber
Hey quick question? The way the study material is set up is to do the practice questions first but it makes more sense to go over study material first. Do you suggest to do the practice questions first?

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #155
Hey quick question? The way the study material is set up is to do the practice questions first but it makes more sense to go over study material first. Do you suggest to do the practice questions first?
Hello @Smerchant

There really isn't a reason (besides the set up in the back end of the website) that the practice question sets are listed before the other materials in the study planner. Since Bionic Turtle is a self-study program, everyone studies differently. There are some people who choose to watch the instructional videos before even looking at the study notes so it is best if you create your own study plan that will work for you personally. The study planner is not set up "in order" of which materials to study first and last. I hope that helps!

Nicole

goodyhi11

Subscriber
Hi, I also have another question, what is the correct way of studying?

I have been going in the following sequence:

1) watch video
2)study notes
3)do practice problems.

Also, how much are we suppose to retain from studying the notes. Are we expected to know the details on everything from the notes?

thanks
Han

Detective

Subscriber
There is no "correct" way. It's a function of several variables:
  • How do you learn best (audio, visual, etc)?
  • How familiar are you what the material, what's your background?
  • How much time do you have to commit up until the exam?
  • What is your main goal at the end of the day (e.g. just pass the exam, gain a deeper understanding, or a bit of both)?
There are several books and research out there on the most effective or efficient way to study, but I still think it's more of an art than a science. Some "universal" principles that have helped me personally --
  • Start as early as you can
  • Try explaining a concept to someone else, if you can't articulate it then you don't really understand it
  • Nothing is an "isolated" example or concept -- try to fit in the bigger picture, make connections
  • Making some sort of "plan" or organization sequence helps
Here is one plan of attack for each reading or section:
  1. Make some sort of plan or schedule that accomplishes the following:
    1. Covers all material you are expected to know in a reasonable time frame
    2. Gives you time to revise and do practice exams
  2. Read the GARP Learning Objective -- so you have a clear picture of what you're supposed to know
  3. Skim through the BT Notes for the topic (so you have a rough understanding, don't worry about details -- go for higher-level picture)
  4. Watch the BT Video for the said topic
  5. Go back and read the BT Notes more carefully now (taking note of detail and writing down formulas)
  6. Do Practice Problems for that reading
  7. Mark the problems you got wrong and if it is a similar concept you struggle on, go back to reading and understand it better (or use forum as a resource for that for particular question/topic)
  8. Come back a few weeks later to skim through notes to revise memory and if extra ambitious mark problems you got wrong and re-attempt it
  9. (Extra) Go a step beyond and try to "model" the problem or solution outside the scope of the exam -- e.g. write code or spreadsheet; or create a generalized solution -- Not needed to simply "pass" the exam

Jay Kent

Subscriber
Hi there,
FRM new comer and new BT member here - professional membership. I am getting lost in all the questions there are on offer. Is there a condensed and easily navigable questions pdf available please? For e.g. P1.T2 Quant is 240 pages long and many of those questions are previous ones. Additionally, it is bit of pain to solve a question, then scroll three pages to find answers.
How do other members do it? Or am I missing something obvious here?
Also other experienced users can shed some light on their study strategy, that would be very useful. For example, I am doing Video->Read Notes->Read chapter(if I don't fully understand) -> practice questions. The last part is the slowest because most of the time I struggle to find the relevant questions from the chapter in forums or in pdf.

Thanks
jay

Nicole Seaman

Chief Admin Officer
Staff member
Subscriber
Thread starter #160
Hi there,
FRM new comer and new BT member here - professional membership. I am getting lost in all the questions there are on offer. Is there a condensed and easily navigable questions pdf available please? For e.g. P1.T2 Quant is 240 pages long and many of those questions are previous ones. Additionally, it is bit of pain to solve a question, then scroll three pages to find answers.
How do other members do it? Or am I missing something obvious here?
Also other experienced users can shed some light on their study strategy, that would be very useful. For example, I am doing Video->Read Notes->Read chapter(if I don't fully understand) -> practice questions. The last part is the slowest because most of the time I struggle to find the relevant questions from the chapter in forums or in pdf.

Thanks
jay
@Jay Kent

Note that I moved your question to the Study Guide thread, as it may be helpful for you to read through other member's study plans. All of our practice questions are organized in PDFs in the study planner under their corresponding topic and reading. Please note that they do NOT follow the GARP books, which may be causing some of the confusion. We organize our study planner according to the GARP syllabus (Part > Topic > Reading).

You should not have to be searching the forum for specific practice questions because on the answer page of each PDF, the forum links are provided for those specific practice questions. If you want to discuss those questions or need additional help understanding the concepts, you can click on that forum link to go directly to that practice question in the forum.

Regarding the previous practice questions that are available in the PDFs, we are always adding new practice questions. This helps to ensure that you are studying the most up-to-date concepts, as GARP adds learning objectives to the curriculum each year. Some members choose to only study the newest practice questions and don't bother with the previous questions unless they have extra time. It is up to you to determine how much time you have to study and decide if you want to go through all of the previous practice questions. You can easily see which practice questions are the newest (1) we always put the newest practice questions at the top of the question set pdf (2) we label our practice questions according to the year that David writes them (9xx = 2019, 8xx = 2018, 7xx = 2017, etc).

I hope this helps to answer your questions!

Nicole