Key rate hedging

rickm123

Hi David:

In reference to hedging with key rate exposures, do we need to know how to calculate simultaneous equations. Your notes, videos do not really explore this too profoundly..can you please let me know what we need to know for part 2 and if you have a video or question that explains this specificly please provide.

thanks

rick

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Rick,

You are right, I don't really explain it (i.e., solving for the key rate hedging portfolio). Tuckman illustrates an example in his Chapter 7.
The AIM is "Calculate the key rate exposures for a given security, and compute the appropriate hedging positions given a specific key rate exposure profile."

Technically, I think we should add an example, although it has severely low testability. I don't have video to point to; I will add it to our internal task, I think it would be helpful.
I have written questions for the chapter, here at http://www.bionicturtle.com/how-to/question/market-risk-tuckman-chapters-6-7-9-21-l2.t5/

Thanks,

rickm123

Hi david: Tried to do this question and I am rather confused. Can you please explain as to what key rate hedging is trying to accomplish and will we need to know the methodology to obtain the face value as discussed in the samle question.
thanks Rick

Arka Bose

Hi David,
It would have been useful if u would have provided a bit of depth in explaining this topic. I tried reading tuckman too, went over my head.

Arka Bose

Thanks David,
After reading the stuff many times from tuckman i got it.
You can explain why did we go for the equations (due to the mismatch of hedges of the 5 year with the 30 year),what are the values actually calculated in the table, why others are 0 values (bonds trading at par of the same maturity thing).
I know this is most probably not going to be tested, and for you as a prep provider, you have to take care of everything and also make it simple too. But a little bit depth in hard areas will be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S probably since this wasnt explained well in your materials, maybe it did well for me as i had to read that part over 50 times from the book to calm myself down.:rolleyes:

Hi Rick,

You are right, I don't really explain it (i.e., solving for the key rate hedging portfolio). Tuckman illustrates an example in his Chapter 7.
The AIM is "Calculate the key rate exposures for a given security, and compute the appropriate hedging positions given a specific key rate exposure profile."

Technically, I think we should add an example, although it has severely low testability. I don't have video to point to; I will add it to our internal task, I think it would be helpful.
I have written questions for the chapter, here at http://www.bionicturtle.com/how-to/question/market-risk-tuckman-chapters-6-7-9-21-l2.t5/

Thanks,

Mr David,

Seems this link
http://www.bionicturtle.com/how-to/question/market-risk-tuckman-chapters-6-7-9-21-l2.t5/

is missing. Please do the needful.

Regards

Ashok